Thursday, September 27, 2012

Am I better than Job?

Every lunch I try to make sure that I get in some devotion time to recharge my spirit and strengthen myself for the balance of my work day. Today one of the sermons was based on the story of Job, when God allowed Satan to afflict him. The scripture reference was Job 1:6-12 King James Version (KJV) and can be read below.

6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.
7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
8 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
9 Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.
12 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.
The reason I am writing this blog today, is because I have realized something new about this passage that I have overlooked in the past. God first asks what Satan has been up to and his response is that he has been scouring the Earth. He has been searching and looking into every nook and cranny; and as the devotional suggested, for those he can devour. Secondly God asks him if he has considered Job; a perfect and upright man, in other words since you have searched the Earth you must have seen and studied him. Satan’s response is that of course he is faithful and upright; you have blessed him and protect him. This is the important part, this is when God then allows him to go and afflict (aka test him) Job.
These are the two things I wanted to point out about this passage. One God has faith in our ability to choose him over Satan and secondly and more importantly God will allow us to be afflicted with trials for his Glory. Many times I have questioned why things have gone the way they have in life, as I am sure many of us have. There were even times when this caused me a lot of doubt and concern; however, recently I have noticed that I am placing myself more and more in the care of the Lord. Apparently I am gaining the ability to trust in him in all things which I believe is a sign of growth and maturity. However, I have heard and remember times when either myself or someone else have uttered the words, Why me?
After re-reading this text I can confidently say I will not do so again. For unlike Job there has never been a time that I have been perfect and upright, meaning if Job can be afflicted, why shouldn’t I. Are we not all here to bring Glory to God? Is that not why we were made? Is it not he alone who is good, just and worthy to be praised? Just something I think we all should ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment