Monday, March 26, 2012

The Reality of Our Possessions

We all own things, or at least we act like we do. But when you really think about what we have in our homes, on our driveways in our fridges and our lives, do we not owe someone a great THANK YOU. How many times have I taken for granted that at the end of a long day my home, bed and wife will be there to provide comfort and solace? I mean I don’t celebrate this fact every single day, but perhaps I should. Once in a while I catch a glimpse of a beautiful sunrise and stand in awe of the creation and by extension it’s creator, but aren’t they all magnificent even if I am not present or acknowledge them? Who am I to add significance the rising of the sun? I can only be thankful that it happens on a daily basis.

But back to my point, the things we use on a daily basis, my toothbrush, my stove, my fridge and even that movie I borrowed the other day, should I be just as grateful for them as for the dawn? The answer is a resounding YES, and it should be YES every time we use them. This is a part of societies problem as a whole, we have all lost sight of the significance of an item simply because it has been there longer than 5 minutes. Some how our thankfulness for something wanes with time and inattention and it becomes less worthy of our recognition.

Let’s use the example of the borrowed movie to illustrate my point. Say I borrowed a movie from you, wouldn’t I take care of it and make sure that it came back to you in the same fashion that I received it? Wouldn’t you? Sure you would, you are responsible and know that our relationship would be injured should I damage the item and break that bond of trust. I mean wouldn’t you expect me to replace it if it was damaged? Of course you would.

So now that we are thinking about being responsible for those things we borrow and don’t own, let us go back to the question “What do we really posses?” I mean the Bible states that “…all good gifts come from above from the father of lights.” And that in him “we live and move and breathe...” and lastly “the Earth is the Lord’s and everything in it.” Which means that all of those things you and I used this morning. Our shower, clothes, toothbrush, coffee cup, car and everything in between are not really ours. It is on loan from our Father above and should be treated with the appropriate respect; after all doesn’t he deserve the same respect for his things as we ask for our own.

The bottom line is this, to ensure appreciation and proper respect for what we call, “our things.” We must realize that they are all gifts and loaners from God above and should be treated and used with proper respect and intent to glorify not us but him. In the end the only possession we have is our God given gift of choice, for we do not even have dominion over our own bodies. So rejoice in his gifts, give thanks and try not to forget that you are blessed and loved by a generous and gracious Father.


2 comments:

  1. When in El Salvador last summer, it was the most amazing thing to see a child's face light up when they received toothpaste and toothbrush because they had never had one of their very own. Something so simple, but yes, we often take our power of purchase for granted. Most spend much, if not all of their lives, never truly appreciating such things.

    I didn't see the value of a beat up old car and smooth highways the same after being in a place where both are luxuries.

    Even the fact that we can read this from our own computers and communicate this way on a daily basis is a luxury.

    It is a matter of perspective and until some of us have our paradigm challenged, we will not know to make the shift to an attitude of gratitude.

    Thank you for writing, it is a good reminder for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Curtis, I just realized I never thanked you for this comment. As always great to get your perspective.

    ReplyDelete