Monday, August 13, 2012

Welcome home

Recently I had a family member return from a long trip, the reason I am writing about this seemingly normal occurrence, is because I have noticed something in myself I don’t like. You have probably heard this catch phrase before, “absence makes the heart grow fonder,” or “you don’t know what you have until you lose it.” I am sure many you know have used at one time or another.

When you break down these two phrases, you should realize how sad these statements are. Not only does it show a lack of care or concern but true apathy. I am sorry to say that, I too am guilt of such a foolish and inconsiderate thing. We are social creatures and yet so many times we communicate badly with one another, without thought or care. Why is it that we only really care about something or someone when it is gone, broken or injured? So many times and ways I have heard the words, “I love you spoken” and the actions say something else. Regret is a terrible way to live and that is how most of us choose to operate day after day.

People often say that love is an emotion and comes from the heart and shouldn’t or doesn’t involve the head. To me this is a falsehood, that feeling you get when you are around someone you care about is made up of more than just a warm and fuzzy feeling. It lives and breathes in action and deeds. If faith without works is dead as the bible states, then love without care and intention is dead as well.

So I urge myself, and others, to love with your heart and your mind now, and not later. Stop living in regret, stop reacting to things around you and be proactive, share yourself with someone today. Don’t wait for their return after a long trip; tell them now “Welcome Home,” the one that dwells in your heart for them and them alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment