Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Lesson in Humility

I just realized today that I have crushed this months quota and will close up the best month I have ever had as a Sales person at my current company. My first reaction was to let out a resounding yop like in the movie, The Dead Poets Society. That was until I realized that perhaps doing so might bring down those around me who are not doing so well. With that thought sinking into my mind I also realized that some might think it sheer luck and not what it truly is, a blessing from God. And now that I have this renewed and corrected perspective, I know that the glory is his alone. The Bible states to him be all the glory and for good reason, for James 1:17 mentions that all good things comes from the Father of Lights. This understanding should have been at the forefront of my mind and my first reaction. To my shame it was not, but to my joy I said nothing to anyone in the office and therefore did not supplant his praise for my own except in my mind. I now have the honour and privilege of telling the correct reason for my good fortune should someone ask, I have been but blessed by a gracious Lord and that with each blessing I pray a new sense and understanding of humility will accompany it.

2 comments:

  1. Ed,

    This is good, but be careful with claiming your success with the blessing of God. Are you saying that as he blesses you, he is cursing others? or he is withholding his blessing from others? i.e. you are successful and they are not. Is this picture found in Scripture? This is not to say that all that we have is a blessing of God, yet it lacks good news if God is whimsical with his blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave,

      Thank you for your comment. To clarify I believe all things, even what we classify as blessing and trials come from/are allowed by God in order to achieve our transformation in one form or another. My point in this case is the realization that my efforts while diligent should not in anyway give me opportunity to boast in anyone but the Lord Jesus Christ. And I should, like Paul, be content with whatever state I find myself in. Sometimes what we call trails are what I would call blessing which are just harder to see.

      Delete